This quick mushroom toast brunch with egg, asparagus and hazelnuts takes less than 30 minutes to prepare. Its earthy flavours of mushrooms and hazelnuts, mixed with the sweet creaminess of the egg and the crunch of asparagus will make sure to delight your taste buds.
I had something very similar at Frudisiac in Bucharest, a lovely Nordic inspired place that serves excellent brunch and great coffee. As a matter of fact, I can’t wait to work from there next time I’m in Bucharest. When I first visited the café I had their mushroom toast with poached egg and asparagus. I liked it so much that I decided to also give it a try.
The first time I gave it a shot I didn’t quite consider the time it would take me to prepare everything, so the surprise of this fast recipe felt really good! I popped the two plates onto the table way earlier than I would have thought… With the first couple of bites, I already started thinking about making it again a week later and posting the recipe here.
I don’t want to continue bragging too much about it at this point, but I encourage you to try it out. It’s oh-so-simple!
- 50g butter
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 350g mixed mushrooms (shiitake, oyster, king oyster)
- 1 small handful of parsley, finely chopped
- 1 small handful of chives, chopped
- 4 sliced of sourdough bread
- 6 asparagus spears
- 2 poached eggs
- 2 tsp chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tsp ancho chilli flakes
- Boil salt water in a sauce pan.
- Heat the butter in a large pan.
- Add the garlic and fry for half a minute, stirring all the time.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté until golden brown (about 10 minutes). Stir from time to time.
- Mix in the parsley and chives a couple of minutes before removing the mushrooms from the heat.
- Toast the slices of bread.
- Add the asparagus spears to the boiling water for a minute, remove them and place them under cold running water.
- Place the bread slices on the plates you will serve your dish in. Add mushrooms, the eggs, and asparagus spears. Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts and ancho chilli flakes and serve immediately.
Love, happyholism and nom-nom,