This delicious poached pear and cardamom frangipane tart is one of my all time favourite desserts. Imagine the classic frangipane; now imagine it topped with delicious poached pears and a crunchy cardamom crust. Its secrets: it’s not too sweet, the pears add a hint of acidity to balance out the richness of the almond filling without making it sour, the crust is very crunchy and the cardamom adds that extra bit of freshness which, in my opinion, every frangipane tart needs in order for it not to be too heavy.
[ingredients title=”Ingredients for the crust”]
- 3 large eggs
- 125g butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 1/3 cups of sugar
- 2 tsp freshly ground cardamom
- a pinch of salt
[ingredients title=”Ingredients for the filling”]
- 1 1/2 cups of ground almonds
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup of almond flakes
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cups of sugar
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste (or essence)
- 1 tsp freshly ground cardamom
[ingredients title=”Ingredients for the poached pears”]
- 4 pears, peeled
- 1 cup of white wine
- 2 tsp strong rum (I used 80% Stroh)
- 2/3 cups of sugar
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1/4 vanilla pod
- 2 cups of water
[directions title=”To make the crust”]
- In a bowl mix all the ingredients with your hands until everything is well incorporated into the mixture.
- Refrigerate the pastry for 10 minutes.
- Grease and flour the tart tray, then roll the pastry dough into the tin.
- Place the tin into the freezer and keep it there for 10 minutes.
[directions title=”Directions for the filling”]
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Once done, refrigerate until use.
[directions title=”Directions for the poached pears”]
- Add the water, spices, wine and rum to a pot and bring to boil together with the pears.
- Boil on medium heat for 20 minutes, until the pears become soft and get a slightly brown colour.
- Once done, strain the pears well and slice them.
[directions title=”Directions for the tart”]
- Preheat the oven 180ºC.
- Take the tart tin out of the freezer and bake it for 15 minutes, until it hardens and becomes slightly golden.
- Add the filling to it and top it with the pear slices.
- Bake it for 30 minutes until it’s done through.
Enjoy this super tasty tart. Serve it cold on its own, or heat it up and serve it with some vanilla ice cream if you prefer sweeter desserts. Either way, it will be very tasty!
Love, happyholism and nom-nom,