These poached egg tortilla nests with avocado, rocket and tomatoes are one of my favourite breakfast dishes. I don’t know about you, but I’ve just recently rediscovered the amazing taste and texture of a great runny egg, and have been making poached eggs for breakfast quite often lately.
- 2 eggs
- 2 small wholemeal tortillas
- 1 handful of rocket salad
- 1 handful of tomatoes, chopped
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar (for poaching the eggs)
- Turn the oven on at 150ºC. Place the tortillas in two oven proof dishes, preferably round (I used two tapas plates) and keep them in the oven until everything else is ready. Since you’re not baking them, but just want to get them to stay in the shape of a bowl and become crispy, you don’t have to preheat the oven, just put them in when you turn the oven on.
- Now it’s time to prepare those poached eggs! In a pot add water, 1 tsp of salt and cider vinegar and bring it to boil. Once it’s boiling turn the heat down and wait until it simmers. I break the eggs and put them in a ramekin (one at a time, of course). With a spatula stir the water slowly, and in the centre, slowly add the egg. If you will stir the water too much or add the egg too quickly, the egg white will spread around the pot. Anyway, if you have doubts about your poaching technique, just check out this article.
- Keep the eggs in no longer than 3 minutes. This way they will be runny and delicious!
- Once you have everything ready, it’s time to assemble this beautiful dish. Take our the tortillas and place them on normal plates. Add a layer of rocket, the tomatoes, the avocado, and last but not least, that wonderful poached egg.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper on top and enjoy!
Love, happyholism and nom-nom,