This moutabal – aubergine and tahini salad, dip, spread or however you wish to categorise it, is a great starter, a great breakfast and can work wonderfully as a sauce for shawarma. Its flavours are smoky and intense . No matter what, this will always be a delight.
I personally am slightly addicted to aubergines and tend to cook with them at least once a week. Yet, since I’ve started making this delicious Moutabal (after I found out its secret from a Lebanese restaurant in Berwick-upon-Tweed), I’ve reduced my aubergine dish variety by quite a lot. Yes, it’s that tasty!
- 3 medium aubergines
- 2 tbsp good quality tahini
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, slightly toasted and crushed with a press
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- First you will need to grill the aubergines. I do it by turning the oven grill setting to high and placing the aubergines right under the grill. This shouldn’t take long, but it often depends on your oven grill. Mine take about 5-7 minutes on each side, so be prepared to check them quite often and make sure they don’t turn into ashes. They are done when they become dark and the skin hardens. Don’t forget to pinch some holes with a fork, or else the aubergines will explode in the oven!
- Peel them and place them on a cutting board that is slightly slanting for some of the water to drain (for about 10 minutes).
- Chop them really finely using a knife, then place them in a bowl.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Serve warm, ideally with some fresh middle-eastern pita, like this one.
That’s all! Simple, very quick and incredibly delicious!
Love, happyholism and nom-nom,