Would you fancy a delicious gourmet burger that you can make in just 30 minutes? The beef patty’s tones of nutmeg and pepper, the meat’s tenderness from the brandy, the melted brie, the sweetness of caramelised onions, the crispiness of the bacon and the freshness of rocket salad create a delightful blend of flavours that will bring the king of gourmet burgers onto your plate. Should I add that everything is baked, even the bacon?
My tip? Enjoy these burgers with this delicious and extremely easy golden bun recipe and these baked baby potato chips.
Cooking time: 30 min[/twocol_one] [twocol_one_last]
For 4 delicious burgers.[/twocol_one_last] [twocol_one] [ingredients title=”Ingredients for the burger”]
- 4 golden buns
- 50g rocket salad
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- 120g brie
- 4 slices of (oak smoked) lean bacon
- 4 portions of baked potato chips
- 400g good quality ground beef
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp mixed peppercorns
- 3 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red onion
- 25g butter
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cups of sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 1/3 cups of water
- First of all prepare the meat patties by adding all the ingredients to a bowl and mixing gently with your hands, until combined. Do not over-mix, as the texture of the burger will change. Divide the mix in 4 and form the patties and refrigerate until you cook them. For the best results, you may wish to leave them in the fridge for 30 minutes, that, if you have some extra time on your hands.
- Preheat the oven 180ºC. Place the patties, the bacon and the mushrooms on a grill pan and bake them in the oven for 20 minutes (this will get the patties well-done; if you prefer rare or medium rare meat, reduce the baking time). Don’t forget to turn the patties and the bacon on the other side halfway through – this will get rid of some of the excess oil!
- While the patties are getting done, prepare the caramelised onions. Juilienne the onion. Melt the butter in a pan. Add the onion, vinegar, sugar, salt and water and cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, until the water evaporates, the onions soften and the sugar becomes caramel. Stir constantly, to make sure the sugar and onions do not burn!
- Slice the brie.
- Remove the patties 3 minutes before they are done, add the brie on top and bake them for another 3 minutes, until the cheese melts.
- Place the patty onto the bread, add caramelised onions, rocket salad, the portobello mushroom and the top bun!
Love, happyholism and nom-nom,
Can’t stop looking? Come on, start cooking! Ok, this is the last one!