This Mediterranean brunch with hummus, a delicious feta salad and poached egg, on top of a fluffy za’atar pita is all you can wish for this weekend! You can put it together in no time and impress your partner or friends since the first bite.
Netflix and brunch
Brunching has become my favourite weekend activity; but I’d rather do it in my home, while dressed in my pyjamas, watching an episode of Abstract or Chef’s Table on Netflix. This has become one of the things I’m most looking forward to every single weekend. Preparing that brunch on Saturdays and Sundays is my moment to disconnect, to take things slowly and fully enjoy my cooking. I don’t feel pressured by time. I sometimes really take all of it and forget that my boyfriend is not only reading about current politics in the living room, but is also starving – and relying on me to bring the food.
‘Me and my pan’ time
I plan my weekend brunch the week before. Yes, I love planning anyway, but to be honest, there are a few things I dislike more than having to go shopping for one forgotten ingredient on a Saturday morning. The city looks so desolate on Saturday mornings and my nose and cheeks are rarely prepared to get hit by the constant coldness of the sad Scottish weather. So, I plan and make sure I’ve got everything I need for some ‘me and my pan’ time in the kitchen.
A year ago, in Dublin
Last year when we went to Dublin we fully experienced the joys of brunching, a concept that my family feared as I was growing up, I think. In our two days there, we got to experience two memorable brunches. One was out on a terrace – enjoying the first day of Spring and the other in a lovely place that was right by our AirBnb and that a friend of my boyfriend had recommended. The latter, a cute little bistro that was so successful it had expanded next door had a very simple menu, mainly inspired by Mediterranean cuisine – a bit of North African, a bit of the Middle East, a bit Italian, a bit Greek.
I wanted to recreate that in my own way and this is how I came up with this recipe that I’ve already made a couple of times and look forward to making again, when I won’t have other plans or ideas.[twocol_one][/twocol_one] [twocol_one_last][/twocol_one_last]
- 2 medium sized pitas
- 2 tbsp za’atar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g hummus
- 75g feta, cubed
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 thumb long piece of cucumber
- 1 small handful of fresh mint, chopped finely
- 10-ish Kalamata olives, halved
- 4 sun dried tomatoes, quartered
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2 poached eggs
- a couple of fresh coriander leaves
- Place the pitas in the oven and turn it to 150ºC. Leave them in until everything else is ready.
- Prepare the salad by mixing feta, cucumber, tomatoes, mint, olives, sun dried tomatoes and oregano.
- Take the pitas out, brush them with olive oil and sprinkle za’atar. Add a layer of hummus, a layer of salad and the poached egg. Sprinkle with fresh coriander leaves, salt and pepper and serve warm, immediately.
Love, happyholism and nom-nom,