This easy vegan okra curry, ready in only 20 minutes, is healthy and perfect for those of you who love okra but don’t really know what to do with it. This can be served as a starter as well as a main meal, is easy, light and quick.
- 250g okra
- 30g butter
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 3-4 dried chillies
- 5 garlic cloves, pressed or finely chopped
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp curry leaves
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- a handful of tomatoes, chopped
- salt to taste
- First of all cook the okra. The fastest way to do it is by boiling it, pretty much like pasta. Don’t boil it more than 6-7 minutes, or else it will become really soft and soggy and will lose its great texture. Once done, drain and cut the okras in halves.
- In the meantime, dry toast the coriander seeds, cumin and black peppercorns. You can do this by placing them in a small pan. Don’t add any oil. You will know they are done once they start releasing intense flavours and the coriander seeds will have turned golden. Once toasted, grind them with a mortar and pestle.
- In a large pan, heat the butter, then add the mustard seeds. Once they start popping add the core flavours: the garlic, ginger, curry leaves, together with all the spices. Do not just yet add the salt – that’s for the very end! Fry them in the butter for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the onions and cook them on medium-low heat until soft.
- Turn the heat up and add the tomatoes. Stir constantly, as otherwise the ingredients can stick to the pan and burn. Cook for a couple of minutes, until the curry becomes dry.
- Add the okra to the rest and stir well. Tadam!
- Serve warm with basmati rice.
Love, happyholism and nom-nom,