This easy chipotle cornbread is very tasty on its own as a snack or as a starter. Should I also tell you that it only takes 15 minutes to prepare it?
I’ve never been a great fan of corn, but I come from a country where polenta is consumed for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Don’t imagine all Romanians have polenta for breakfast, lunch and dinner, however, a vast majority of our traditional dishes involve polenta as a side or main dish.
I’ve only had cornbread once, and I have to day, despite the fact that I would have never ordered it had I not tasted it, it was delicious! Is that why I made my own? Kind of. I also made my own cornbread because I had never made cornbread before and I wanted to try it out.
I had a tin of chipotles in adobo from my foodie friend Anne, I had polenta, I had semolina, I had the internet for inspiration. Most recipes I found contained polenta and wheat flour, but to me that wasn’t cornbread-y enough. As a result, I decided to leave behind all the recipes I came across and just go with my own imagination.
35 minutes later there is was: a beautiful, fluffy and fragrant easy chipotle cornbread. How was it? Super tasty, duh!
- 1 cup fine semolina
- 1 cup polenta
- 2 eggs
- 4-5 canned chipotles in adobo, chopped
- 5-6 pickled jalapeños, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 30g manchego cheese, grated
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika (for decoration)
- 1 tbsp sea salt flakes (for decoration)
- Preheat the oven at 180ºC.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the eggs, milk and everything else and mix well.
- Place a baking sheet on the baking tray you are using, then pour the dough mix. You can sprinkle some sweet paprika for decoration, as well as some salt flakes.
- Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy!
Love, happyholism and nom-nom,